Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Seriously? Damn...

File under : Boston Sports

AP Photo

Who'd have thought we'd get so attached to a place kicker? Well, there ain't been one like this before. I knew this was coming; I mean, they could have franchised him again, or upped their previous offer, but they didn't. Last week I had the premonition, (side note, whenever I dream about the Pats, they follow up - win over the Panthers, win over the Eagles, loss to the Broncos, AV leaving town) but I NEVER thought it would be with the Colts. I'm stunned. I need a drink.

Last week Simmons wrote about McGinest leaving town, but that one didn't hit me as bad. Saw it coming. Loved Willie, and he always stepped up when it counted (ask Edgerrin James), but they weren't giving him the kind of money he could get elsewehere (Cleveland). That's Belichick ball. We don't get to be sentimental (Three Games to Glory DVD's notwithstanding). Vinatieri? Prime of his career. Stories will surface soon. But something odd was happening behind the scenes.

Damon's in pinstripes. AV is wearing the horseshoe. I know it's a business. I don't blame them, or management. But as LJ says, "You don't root for laundry". But when you've put your collective will into a moment, and expended a lifetime's worth of ups and downs into rooting for a guy to make one field goal, you'd like to think he'd wear your laundry for the rest of his career. I don't want to root against these guys this year, but that's the way it's gonna be. Thanks for the memories, Adam. Hope you shank the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment