Monday, August 04, 2008

Coffee Talk

belated six-pack...

1. Sawx-Tawk - Well, the weekend was a promising start to the Jason Bay era. I was all ready to be excited again, right up until we lost to the Royals tonight. Granted, Mike Lowell was out, but the lineup had the unmistakable tinge of missing one major bat, much like when Ortiz was out earlier. There will be opportunities for teams to pitch around Papi, and it'll take a solid team effort to overcome that. So put me down as inspired, but cautiously pessimistic. (And that assumes Papi didn't re-aggravate his wrist tonight. Knock on wood furiously)

2. Olympics non-talk - I'm way more excited about the PGA Championship this weekend than I am about the Olympics kicking off. I can't imagine suffering through any of the tape-delay prime time coverage. And I haven't decided whether I'm rooting for or against the US Men's basketball squad. I'll have to actually look at the schedule to see if there's anything worth watching in real time. All I'm hoping is for some major protest to make things more politically charged.

3. Pre-season football talk - Yawn to this as well. I did not take in any of the HoF game, and as a non-fantasy player, don't care much about anything non-Patriots related at this point. And really, all we're looking for this week is for nobody to get hurt on Thursday, right? NFL Network has the replay on Saturday afternoon, hopefully someone tivo's it, and we can bomb through it before game 2 next Sunday.

4. Obama VP talk - Anyone else completely uninspired by the names being kicked around? I wasn't expecting to actually see a liberal on the ticket, but I've got to hope there's something up Obama's sleeve better than Evan Bayh. If I'm talking myself into Joe Biden for the next few months I'm going to be pissed. Blah.

5. Wilco talk - No Obama sighting at Lollapalooza as rumored, but quality use of Nudie suits by Mr. Tweedy and the boys. Also happened to catch their performance at Wrigley Field by complete accident, which was amusing.



6. Ted Stevens blathering - If you haven't seen it, check out the Daily Show compilation of great moments in Ted Stevens history. It's a solid way to waste half an hour.

1 comment: